The area around Copenhagen was first used by the Oneida Indians as part of their summer hunting grounds. They called it the Old Ash Swamp because Black Ash grew here. Originally the villagewas call Munger’s Mills after the Nathan Mungers (father and sonl. They were millwrights who built asmall gristmill using waterpower from the High Falls to grind wheat. In 1893, the soldiers’ monument was erected to honor the Boys in Blue. It is over 15 feet tall and is located in the center of town. In 1897, an eight-inch Siege Howitzer cannon weighing 2,400 pounds was presented to the town of Denmark. It is placed next to the soldier’s monument.
Also located in the center of town is the Copenhagen bandstand. The earliest recorded band was organized in 1843. The first bandstand on this site was built in 1893. The Copenhagen bandwagon was built in the early 1800s at acost of $500. It was lent to the farming museum in Cooperstown in 1948. It returned to Copenhagen to stay in 1969 during the village’s Centennial celebration. Since the Centennial, the bandwagon has been refurbished, and is now usually taken out for Copenhagen parades. Hotel Davenport, a dining delight, was known as the Davenport House in the 1830s. The first house built in Copenhagen is located at the corner of Cataract and Washington Streets. The building, now housing the Cottage Inn, was built by Nathan Munger in 1810. St. Mary’s Catholic Church on Route 12 was built in 1901. The previous church locatedonthis site burned. GraceEpiscopal Church on Cataract Street was built in 1877. The United Church of Copenhagen was originally a Congregational Church built in 1886.